A person who
- kills the Sovereign, does the Sovereign any bodily harm tending to the death or destruction of the Sovereign or maims, wounds, imprisons or restrains the Sovereign;
- kills the eldest son and heir apparent, or the Consort, of the Sovereign;
- levies war, or does any act preparatory to levying war, against the Commonwealth of Australia;
- assists by any means whatever, with intent to assist, an enemy at war with the Commonwealth of Australia, whether or not the existence of a state of war has been declared;
- instigates a foreigner to make an armed invasion of the Commonwealth or any Territory not forming part of the Commonwealth; or
- forms an intention to do any act referred to in a preceding paragraph of this subsection and manifests that intention by an overt act shall be guilty of an indictable offence, called treason.
Penalty: Level 1 imprisonment (life); or imprisonment for such other term as is fixed by the court as the court determines.
A person who
- receives or assists another person who is to his knowledge guilty of treason in order to enable him to escape punishment; or
- knowing that a person intends to commit treason, does not give information thereof with all reasonable despatch to a constable or use other reasonable endeavours to prevent the commission of the offence shall be guilty of an indictable offence.
Penalty: Level 3 imprisonment (20 years maximum).